This is a blog that I have set up as a requirement for my writing class, but I hope to also use it to open up as a writer and to write about things that I am passionate about.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bedtime Story

My son is almost two and has recently started sleeping in a toddler. He has been sleeping in his bed soundly for a few nights but last night I was wishing that his bed had rails. Of course, that would basically be a crib. after an hour of rocking and nursing and rocking and nursing, I decided that it was time for bed! So, I decided it was time for him to just accept the fact that it was indeed bed time and that he was going to sleep in his bed. This did not go over so well. Another half hour passed trying to just get him to stop getting out of his bed. Some how I got the idea to talk to him. I asked him if he wanted me to tuck him him. Of course he replied no. I asked if I could tuck in one of his stuffed animals. Suprisingly he said "uh huh." After I found one that he approved of, I asked him if he would like a story. Again, I was suprised when he said "uh huh." So I remembered my favorite bed time story. The Three Little Pigs. Well, he listened intently as I told the longest little pigs story! It was so long, the little pigs, were almost fathers of their own little pigs. I have not had to make up stories in a long time ( my other child is 7) though it seemed to come so easily. I really enjoyed our storytime and I think we may have to start doing it every night.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Jessica,

    What a big step your son has taken. I think all toddlers have a sense of ownership of their bed. That is amazing that you are making him feel more comfortable with his bed. The Three Little Pigs is one of my favorite stories as well. I know about ten different versions. The darker versions are always my favorite because I don't like censorship. I'm a fan of the orginal stories. Good Luck on your paper!

    James Sposkoski

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    That is so sweet. I cannot wait until I can read bedtime stories to my little one. That is funny that your favorite story was the little pigs. I think I really just like all of the mother goose stories they still make me laugh. I bought the Goodnight Moon book for my daughter before she was even born. You should keep me posted on how the toddler bed works out. I am going to have to make the switch soon myself. My daughter will be two in December and she is quite the acrobat. I am worried she is going to free fall from the highest point on her crib. She would do it just to see the look on my face. I hope it all goes well and maybe reading him the stories will make the transition easier. Have a great week.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica! That is so cute! I can't wait until the time comes that I have to make up stories. My husband and I have been trying to learn some nursery rhymes lately. We bought a CD and listen to it in the car so that we are ready when Joshua want to sing them. Hopefully Joshua will be able to transition to his toddler bed. He is still in our room. I guess he needs to get use to being in his own room, in his own bed first though :-) Hope the paper is not causing to much stress this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your story Jessica! What a sweet time with your son... may your nights always end with story time! Cherish these days, they slip out of your hand like water. My baby gets married in less then 5 weeks.... oh how I wish we still had story time!!

    ReplyDelete