This is a blog that I have set up as a requirement for my writing class, but I hope to also use it to open up as a writer and to write about things that I am passionate about.

Monday, July 5, 2010

Truth...or criticism?

I was born a critic. I am constantly analyzing and evaluating my surroundings and those in them. My assessments are almost always correct, though if I am wrong in a judgment I am not afraid to admit it. Well, with that said, this past weekend, I went to my mom's for a visit and while eating lunch my sisters (jokingly) informed me that they think my criticisms are harsh and hurtful...my question to them was, if it is the truth, is it still a criticism? If the truth hurts, why get mad at me for pointing it out? Yes and I do know that when you point a finger, three more are pointing back at you but, I am more than happy to to improve myself and improvement can begin once areas of improvement are found. If the truth hurts, change it.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is great to tell the truth to someone, but telling someone that what they wear is ugly or their hair is pretty is a form of criticism and judgment. I like my family to tell me when I am wrong or when I am not doing something correctly. However, there is a correct time and place to let someone know. You should never blurt out to someone something that will upset him or her. You should pull them aside and tell them quietly not in front of everyone. I am glad you feel it is right to tell the truth because it is but if I did not ask for it, I do not want it and remember that hurtful things you say may come back to bite you one day and you could get hurt, as you might have hurt others. My sisters told me the same thing, then one time I had a friend say something to me in a very blunt manor and I was shocked and hurt. I told my mom later on because I was angry and she said. "Maybe you should learn to hold your tongue or bite it, if you do not have something nice to say do not say anything at all". We all get carried away sometimes it is the power of an apology, and learning when to say it that makes the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,
    I'm the type of person who is brutly honest with everyone and sometimes I get my feelings hurt because I run into that one who's just a little bit sassier than I am or hot headed so to speak. But life goes on, I live everyday and sleep every night with my challenge he is my best friend my lover my arch rival though when it comes to mind games and criticism, hes one of the best. That is why we will be one in the same until the until end of time. As for criticism sometimes there are places and times for it other times just hold your tongue so you don't offend anyone....I know it's hard but trust there is a right time and place for criticism.
    -Candi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is great to tell the truth. But, I sometimes reserve my tongue to those who are ready to hear it. Otherwise, I have wasted my breath. I think being a Mom can make your more of a truth teller because we are too tired to mess around with the being overly nice.

    Dr. P.

    ReplyDelete