This is a blog that I have set up as a requirement for my writing class, but I hope to also use it to open up as a writer and to write about things that I am passionate about.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Don't judge a book...

I received a dictionary for my 11th birthday. Not just any dictionary but "Webster's New Encyclopedia of Encyclopedias." I was disappointed and speechless. What do you say when you open a gift like that? Really, who gives a dictionary as a present anyway? I wanted to return it but my mom would not let me; she assured me that it was an expensive gift (which made me want to return it more) and that it was rude to return gifts. About a week later, while cleaning my room, I found the book hidden under my bed and began to look through it. The more I read it, the more I loved it! I was reading a dictionary and I loved it (yeah, I am a dork). I loved learning new words, how to spell them and how to properly use them in a sentence. I felt sophisticated with my ability to use large words that nobody knew and very smart when I had to explain the definition. Now, 14 years later, I still use this book. I have become a sort of human dictionary/thesaurus as well. I have learned not only to never judge a book by it's cover but also don't judge too quickly, because your worst gift may turn out to be your prized possesion.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jessica,
    I have Comp II with you. You did a great job on your blog. I like what you wrote "Never judge a book by it's cover". That was a cool b-day gift....

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so true what you said. The book comes in handie when it comes with school.

    ReplyDelete